November 30, 2008

college life.

I'm two weeks away from finishing my first semester at IVC. I must say that the work load is not like I expected. The homework is not crashing down on me like it used to during high school. Although I still have homework and tests to study for, school doesn't seem like such a chore or even challenging for that matter. I'm not sure if that's because I'm taking enjoyable classes or because it's community college. My dad's trying to convince me that I'm being silly for thinking community college is any different from a university but I disagree. My boyfriend barely has time for relaxation yet I have all the time in the world. I'm constantly glued to the TV or going out.

Sometimes I wish that I lived on campus at a university so I could experience the college social scene like I've always dreamed of. My friends brag about their roommates and the exciting parties they attend but I can never truly contribute. I have no roommate, unless you count the four family members I live with. I have no exciting parties, unless you count the lame college parties I've twice attended. I'm looking forward to transferring because I'll finally have the life I wished for in high school.

I'm not all full of complaints, however. I enjoy the freedom of IVC and the independent feel of it. I have the advantage of going to class a few hours a day and coming home to a clean, relaxing home. I have definitely matured within the last few months. I've realized that college is not about the partying, the drinking or about how many boys you've been with. I've had friends tell me how drunk they've been and how they've hooked up with guys and it somewhat grosses me out. I wish they could see the damage they're doing to themselves. Life is not about boys and drinking, it's about responsibilities and fun. If your sense of fun is constituted by alcohol and sex, maybe you should reevaluate your morals.

Community college has opened up my eyes to a new world. I'm independent and responsible.
I hope the future will bring me good things.
Love, happiness and success.

xoxo,
Veronica

No comments: